Learn About Booklet Sizes, GSM, Binding and More
Are you confused between perfect bound book printing and A4 landscape booklet printing? We can help with all DL, A5, square and A4 booklet printing. We can print A4 as A5 booklets – perfect for re-sizing for other uses such as mailers.
Learn about booklet printing options in our questions and answers below.
Feel free to skip to a particular section by clicking on the links below.
- Sizes (DL, A4, A5 and Square Booklet Printing)
- Binding (Saddle Stich and Perfect Bound)
- Booklet Printing Ideas
- Order sizes (from 10 copies to thousands)
What is the Difference Between a Book and a Booklet?
As you may have guessed, the number of pages is usually more in books and booklets have paper covers. Booklets are smaller in size and are either staple-bound or perfect bound.
What sizes are available for booklet printing?
There is no hard and fast rule on what size and shape to choose for booklet printing. The size and shape are up to you and what works best for the purpose and design of the booklet.
However, the most cost efficient sizes are below.
- DL – 99 x 210mm
- A4 – 210 x 297mm
- A5 – 148 x 210mm
- Square (up to 210mm x 210mm)
Production costs are lower with above sizes due to paper sheet sizes and other production processes designed for quality and cost efficiency.
If you’re not sure what is the best choice for your booklet, talk to one of our brilliant team members.
A4 Booklet Printing Size
A4 is the most common paper size. You most often see these in letters, magazines and some supermarket catalogues are A4. (210mm wide x 297mm high)
A5 Booklet Printing Size
A5 is half the size of A4. (148mm wide x 210mm high).
We can also help you print A4 as A5 booklet. This is helpful if you have an existing booklet that you’d like to re-size to a smaller version. A quick way of reducing A4 to A5 is to save a new PDF at 71%.
Square (up to 210mm x 210mm)
Something a little different is square booklet printing. You can print square booklets up to 210mm x 210mm. Square booklets immediately draw the eye. Many of our clients who are designers, artists and photographers opt for square booklets to present their portfolios.
What Type of Binding Should I Use for a Booklet?
The type of binding used depends on the number of pages to be bound and the paper’s weight (GSM).
- Perfect Bound (PUR bound): Used for booklets with more than 48 pages. Perfect bound binding has a flat, square edge spine.
- Saddle Stitched: Saddle stitch binds booklets via two staples to the middle of the booklet. This option is subtle and simple and is ideal for booklets with up to 48 pages. Thinner paper, e.g. 100gsm – 115gsm may allow more than 48 pages to be saddle stitched (stapled). Stapling is the stronger than Perfect binding.
What is the Best GSM for Booklet Printing?
We recommend 150gsm gloss art; however, this is entirely up to you, and the look and feel you want to achieve. You can also opt for a higher GSM (grams per square metre) cover which will be thicker and more durable.
- Self-Cover: A self-cover is a term used in the printing industry which means the GSM used for the cover is the same as the inner pages.
- Plus Cover: Typically text pages would be 150gsm and cover 250-350gsm. When asking for a printing quote, say 24pp (printed pages) plus cover = 28 total pages.
What Are Common Booklets?
Booklets are incredibly versatile and used across all types of industries. Here are some examples:
- Businesses and companies: Training manuals, conference and workshop handouts and employee handbooks, commemorative and milestone celebrations, programs, parts catalogues and lists and mailers.
- Arts, Entertainment and Design: Gallery and Museum exhibition books, art and design portfolios, auction catalogues, art catalogues, colouring books, event and tour books, comic books.
- Personal: Gifts for wedding guests, funeral services, family photo booklet, wall calendars.
What is the Minimum Order for Booklet Printing?
Absolute Colour can print orders as small as 10 copies and up into the 1000s.
You are welcome to personalise your booklet with a custom design. If designing isn’t your forte, bring in one of our skilled graphic designers to help you create a memorable booklet.
We can guide you on whether you should consider landscape or portrait orientation, DL, A4, A5 or square, and coated or uncoated stock.
Call 1300 88 99 59 or visit our website to get a quote or help with your booklet printing.